Thursday, January 15, 2009

Friday Finds - Hot Stuff

This week's Friday Finds are a mix of good sites and weird products all celebrating the freaky weather we are having here in Long Beach. It's 85 degrees today and beautiful. If you are in one of the colder parts of the world and are feeling jealous, well, nothing's stopping you from moving here! Just try not to do it all at the same time. I really don't need you guys driving up my rent.

Hot Cooking!


I have been cooking for myself the past few days, and I love LOVE gumbo. My neighbor is from Louisiana and she made gumbo a few weeks ago. She let me have a bowl, which I totally devoured. I make my own chicken/shrimp/andouille sausage gumbo, but I know it isn't very traditional. Yesterday I started looking for good recipes that were traditional and I found something amazing: The Southern Gumbo Trail, a site that is part of the Southern Foodways Alliance, dedicated to preserving Southern food and accumulating oral histories from the people that make and sell great cooking. If you click on any part of that map, you get a list of people who have given oral histories to the site, explaining what they think makes an authentic gumbo, how their recipes originated, and along with some interesting tidbits about food, you get a lot of information about politics and culture. Highly recommended! They also have "trails" for BBQ, Mississippi Delta Hot Tamales, and Boudin. I spent quite some time here...

Hot Candy!


Whenever I talk about the Cold War and/or atomic era in my classes, I try to bring in some kind of retro product that encapsulates the very odd nature of that time. Remember Atomic Fire Balls? You can still buy them, and if you are like me and need them in bulk, Blair Candy allows you to get 200 of them for $17! What an interesting way to deal with the impending doom of nuclear winter and human annihilation.

Hot Damn!

Maybe you plan on throwing an amazing Mardi Gras party. Perhaps you'd like to convince your neighbor that you are the devil and that for stealing your roses there will be retribution. Teonova over at Etsy makes these high quality leather masks that are glittery and wonderful. Excellent workwomanship.

Hot Pink!
I used to hate the color pink in high school. It was the color of traditional femininity and I just wasn't having it. I kept getting pink things and being annoyed by them. But eventually I softened on the whole pink thing. I actually embraced femininity and to hell with everyone that thinks it's inferior or whatever. I started wearing it again, scaring my mom, who said "I thought you hated pink." Me too mom, me too. Hot pink is my favorite:

From pinupgirl.com

Hot Coffee!

Ok, I probably don't really want hot coffee right now, but you might, since it is apparently winter elsewhere. In honor of you, and to preserve hotness everywhere, I offer the DIY coffee cuff. Why not make your own reusable coffee cuff, or "coffee cozy" as it has been called? Poppy Tutorials blog explains how to do it. It's super easy.


If you are really cheap or not crafty at all, you could always use one of those sweat bands for wrists that tennis players and Gwen Stefani use (although now I think she's moved on to using gold and young women as her accessories-such is fame).


Ok, this isn't hot, it's sweet, but I couldn't resist:

BitterSweets - $10/tin
Traditional Valentine's Day candy hearts that don't suck.

They come in a cute little heart shaped tin and are organized for you own personal kind of Valentine's Day experience.

"Dejected" sayings include:

I MISS MY EX | PEAKED AT 17 | MAIL ORDER | TABLE FOR 1
I CRY ON Q | U C MY BLOG? | LOSS LEADER | A FINE WHINE
MOMMY ISSUES | DIGNITY FREE | DORK MAGNET | PURE NAUSEA
WE HAD PLANS | MAIL ORDER | SETTLE 4LESS | I'M HOT INSIDE

"Dysfunctional" sayings include:

ANNULMENT | I BEEN CREEPIN | HE CAN LISTEN | GAME ON TV
CALL A 900# | P.S. I LUV ME | DO MY DISHES | BOOTY INFL8N
PAROLE IS UP! | AWFUL INLAWS | SUB PRIME | I WANT HALF
RETURN 2 PIT | NO FIX 4 DUMB | RATHER DRINK | MUTUAL DISGUST

"Dumped" sayings include:

I GOT SOBER | HE FIT U FAT | U LEFT SEATUP | USED U 4 FUN
JUST A FRIEND | BACK 2 KENNEL | DORKA PHOBIC | U HAVE A BLOG
RUSSIAN BRIDE | CELEB8 THX2U | DOG IS CUTER | TRADIN YOU IN
FORGET WE MET | KISS A FROG | SHE IS 22! | HE HAS A JOB

No comments:

Post a Comment