Thursday, June 4, 2009

Working


Week 1 of the summer and I'm already hard at work. Spent a few mornings on the dissertation, some afternoons on the comic, and I went to one of my 'happy' places: the art store.

If you've ever been to Lyon Art Supply in downtown Long Beach, you know it's totally ridiculous in there. Stuff is in piles, boxes are everywhere, there is danger at ever turn. Seriously, a couple of times I probably would have tripped had I not conditioned myself to constantly look down for debris/random poles from light rigs/boxes of stuff. It is dirty, messy, and the sort of place that immediately makes me anxious, but (and this is a huge but), it's friggin' cheap! Markdowns on everything, sales all over the place - and not 20% sales, we're talking 50% and up. Everyone is really sweet and there is a whole comic section filled with goodies. Most of them are totally in Japanese, but I get what they are for, so I bought a few layout pages and blue line sheets. The same day that I went to the art store, M. came home with his Art Bin of goodies from Platt. They loaded him up with a bunch of stuff. I believe one of the first things he said to me when my little eyes lit up with wonder at the bounty spread before me was, "Jealous?" To which I replied, "Of what? This stuff is mine too!"

Today I'm cutting the morning writing short to go visit my friend Rachel, who recently bought a loft in downtown LA. I've been aching to take advantage of the pool and spa for months now, so today's the day.

Tomorrow I will reinstate Friday Finds. Any requests on a theme or stuff you'd like to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment