Thursday, September 24, 2009

brain damage

Oooh...thanks to the mad googling skills of my friend K (of Gothic Care Package fame), I now have this bio of Dr. Jean Ayres, the woman who diagnosed me with a disorder: Dr. Ayres



Among other interesting facts, she apparently invented the test they used (Southern California Postrotary Nystagmus Test). And in what I'm sure is just a coincidence, she also discovered the very same disorder I am supposed to have, sensory integrative dysfunction.

The bio says that she helped many families and children recover from a "baffling set of problems." Had I known about this disorder when I was growing up (and believe me, I am fully willing to believe she found something, just not something that warranted the doomsday letter in the previous post), I wonder if I would have written off school when it got tough because I had a "condition." My mom never told me about this until I was in my early 20s. Where would Sweet Lady be now? Something to think about...

I wonder how many kids went through her rehab and found themselves just fine after a period of months? How much you wanna bet they attributed it to the "pioneering" work of Dr. Ayres?

No comments:

Post a Comment