Friday, September 18, 2009

Gothic Care Package

Ever have one of those days when things just don't go right?

Like you worked really hard on your powerpoint presentation to go along with your lecture and it's finally perfect and then the stupid computer doesn't work in your classroom. So of course, because you no longer have your slides, your pacing is all off and the board looks like a mess.

Or when you have to tell a student that the classroom is not the stage at the Improv, so can it with the jokes and take this shit seriously already.

Or when because of stupid budget cuts, your classrooms are all at about 78 degrees. Add in 60 warm bodies and you get somewhere around 85 degrees. Ugh.

Plus it's the first day of your period and all you want is to drown in a sea of chocolate and wear something drapey and beltless.

Yeah, well Monday was that kind of day. Geez. But, sometimes the Universe gives you a little pep talk. In addition to M leaving the driveway open for me and cleaning up the house (which made coming home stressless), it just so happened that my friend K, who lives in Germany, had sent me a package of goodies that arrived that very day.



So many good things! Where should I start?! The awesome chocolate eggs for one. They are milk chocolate on the outside, white chocolate on the inside and just shells in egg form. Inside each shell is a little toy. Nutella dipping sticks, in addition to another chocolate hazelnut combo treat. Hazelnuts and chocolate are pretty much the most awesome combination. Around Christmas, I roast shelled hazelnuts in the oven and dip them in melted chocolate. Soo good.

Also part of this amazing care package was a bag of Jumpys. These little paprika chips are shaped like kangaroos and were pretty much what I lived on when I visited K in Germany nine years ago (has it really been that long?). We were addicted to them and bought them whenever we got the chance. On a train ride from somewhere in Germany to somewhere else (Berlin to Hannover?) we debated what kind of drug they were laced with, because what else could inspire such immediate devotion?
I got this care package because a few months ago I sent K a tiny painting of her as a vampire.


Her daughter Cleo is also into vampires and the fantastical, and she called my house and left the cutest message on my machine asking me to do a painting of her as a vampire. I thought I'd up the ante a bit and send her a little package of goodies. Handmade stamp with her name in Calavera font:


And two paintings, one of her as a mermaid, because she has super mermaidy hair. And one of her as a vampire:
So not surprisingly the vampire exchange program is still going!
They sent me these amazing vampire gummy bears.


The center of the vampire bat (the body) is black licorice flavored, and the wings are traditional gummy. Yums.

Plus I got a tin of gothic band-aids.

The band-aids were wrapped in this super cute wrapping paper as well.

I indulged in a couple gummy vampire bats, had a chocolate egg, sampled a few Jumpys and forgot all about my bad day. So thanks K! Excellent timing and a really great care package.



Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment