Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nook Book!

For my birthday I was given (among many cool things) a Nook! It's the Barnes & Noble e-reader and oh, how I wanted it so. I have only had it two days and we are already in love. We spend a lot of time together, we go places together, we are never ever apart. I have been downloading ebooks for a while and reading on my laptop, but this is a different experience. It's not backlit like a computer screen. It has what's called e-ink, which makes it seem a lot more like a book. The iPad has a completely touch screen, which is cool, but I like that the Nook is more book like. It has a small touch screen at the bottom, though, in full color.

I have thousands of books in pdf or epub format. Almost all of them vampire related! I hit upon a big torrent full of vampire fiction a while ago. I thought I could just transfer them super easy to the Nook, and I could, but I noticed that the files had no metadata, so the books had no fancy cover images, and I couldn't see author information, and they were formatted weird, so I downloaded Calibre, a free program that lets you find the isbn info online and download it, including a cover photo. Sweet! I have OCD to the max, but whatevs. I didn't transfer all of my books, but the ones I'm interested in reading (or reading over again) are on it.

Some cool things about the Nook (and any ereader)?

Tons of free ebooks are out there, especially older works which are in the public domain. I found some really interesting things that I put on the Nook for when I need to read something but can't make up my mind.

You can "rent" books. That's right, you can check out free books from  your library (if your library supports ebooks, like the Free Library of Philadelphia does). Basically, you download the book and it stays on your ereader for a certain amount of time and then you can't access it anymore.

 You can also lend people books. I'm not sure how that works, but I like it.

It has audio capability, which means it can read the book to you, but you can also put audiobooks on it, so you don't have robot reader all the time.

I have to name my Nook. It allows you to give it a name in the preferences, and for once, I'm at a loss. What should I name it!?


No comments:

Post a Comment