Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday Finds: Vamps

So I'm reading the new Delia's catalog, which yes, I get in the mail regularly. I know that it is a catalog for tweens and those holding on desperately to youth. I totally know which one of those I am. FYI, things that are back? The 90s. Only much girlier. See below:
It's like they took the lesbian Pacific Northwest out of all of the 90s style!

Anyway, in the center of the catalog is an ad for books (cool, right?) for teens. The title of the ad page: "Vampires can really screw up your school year: Vampire books you can sink your teeth into!"

The first book is Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, which was very European vampire princess romance, so I moved on.

The next book caught my eye immediately!


"Welcome to Nightshade California, the setting of the creepy and hilarious Dead Is series starring the psychic Giordano sisters, who can crack any case! During their investigations, they encounter pom-pom shaking vampires, shape-shifting boyfriends, and dastardly doubles."

So I had to buy this, right? The back of this book had a review from Nancy Holder that said Dead Is the New Black = Veronica Mars plus Buffy the Vampire Slayer multiplied by snarky sisters with psychic powers."

It might as well have said, "Sweet Lady, this book is for YOU."

Yeah, since they are only $7 and there are only 3 in the series I picked them up yesterday when I went shopping for my mom's Mother's Day present.




Summer reading is going to be sooo good.

Anyway, I figured I'd show you all the work I've done this semester putting together a decent list of Vampire literature, film, and cultural studies works on blood suckers.

I'll start with books. Here's a bibliography worth checking out:

  • Auerbach, Nina. Our Vampires, Ourselves.
  • Eisner, Lotte H. The Haunted Screen.
  • Frayling, Christopher, ed. Vampyres: Lord Byron to Count Dracula.
  • Gelder, Ken. Reading the Vampire
  • Howe, Deborah, and James Howe. Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery
  • Matheson, Richard. I Am Legend.
  • McClelland, Bruce, Slayers and their Vampires: A Cultural History of Killing the Dead (highly recommended if you are interested in the historical work on vampires and vampire lore)
  • Ryan, Alan, ed. The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories.
  • Sanvoisin, Éric, and Martin Matje. The Ink Drinker
  • Sommer-Bodenburg, Angela. The Little Vampire (Der Kleine Vampir).
  • Stine, R. L. Vampire Breath—Goosebumps #49
  • Stoker, Bram. Dracula Leslie Klinger's New Annotated Dracula is worth buying, even if you have the pared down version already.
  • Summers, Montague. The Vampire: His Kith And Kin.
  • Todorov, Tzvetan. The Fantastic: A Structural Approach to a Literary Genre.
  • Waltje, Jörg. Blood Obsession: Vampires, Serial Murder, and the Popular Imagination.
  • White, Luise, Speaking with Vampires: Rumor and History in Colonial Africa
You already know to look for the Twilight series and Sookie Stackhouse books, so that goes without saying, right?

I'll be back with a list of movies and tv shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment