Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Carrie Fisher is Awesome



Since I devoured that Sookie book, I have decided to move on to another book I bought yesterday. I started the Carrie Fisher book, Wishful Drinking. I'm only 60 pages in right now, but it's amazing.

Excerpts so far that make me think you should run out and get it:

#1)
In relating how her daughter Billie Lourd (a descendant of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher) and her daughter's boyfriend, Rhys Tivey (a descendant of Elizabeth Taylor and Mike Todd) are related, she explores what she calls "Hollywood Inbreeding"

"Celebrity is sort of like American Royalty. So my brother and I are like thos sad, sad cases like King Charles, the Second of Spain. The last of the Hapsburgs. Charles was so horribly inbred that his aunt was also his grandmother. And his tongue was so large that he couldn't chew or be understood, and he drooled. Another little challege was that his organs were dying on the inside....he actually smelled. So the people around him would put this perfume on him when he met prospective wives."

#2
In remembering exploring through her mom's giant closet, she remarks that she found among the pretty lingerie, some giant underwear.

"I remember thinking, wow, some day when I'm grown up, maybe I'll get my own enormously big breasts. I used to watch while my mom lifted up her huge funbags so she could wash underneath them. I eventually did get those big breasts, and now I'm sorry."

#3

On being Princess Leia:


"One afternoon in Berkeley, I found myself walking into a shop that sold rocks and gems.

'Oh my God, aren't you....' the salesman behind the counter exclaimed.

And before he could go any further, I modestly said, 'Yes, I am.'

'Oh my God! I thought about you every day from when I was twelve to when I was twenty-two!'

And instead of asking what happened at twenty-two, I said, 'Every day?'

He shrugged and said, 'Well, four times a day."

Welcome to the land of too much information."



I am in love with her already.

No comments:

Post a Comment