Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sookie de Mayo


The new Sookie Stackhouse book came out today, and (not surprisingly) I read it! I'm not going to spoil it for anyone just yet, but I definitely recommend it to those who are reading the series. At this point, you're 8 books in, so if you don't read the 9th, I would be a little concerned about you. I've been waiting for this book for about 8 months, and now that I devoured it, I have yet another year to wait for book 10. So unfair.

In addition to Dead and Gone, I got a few other books for my upcoming summer reading.

I love Chinese food, or whatever the American version of it is anyway. And I'm researching foodways for a cookbook, so I came across this and had to have it. Here's the description:

"In The Fortune Cookie Chronicles, author Jennifer Lee takes readers on a remarkable journey that is both foreign and familiar: penetrating this subculture by traveling the world (and almost every American state) in her quest to understand Chinese food and the people who make it.

Her journey took her to the hometown of General Tso (a military hero immortalized as much for crunchy chicken as his conquests), the surprising origins of the fortune cookie (it’s not China), and to six continents in search for the world’s greatest Chinese restaurant. The book also sparks debates as to who really invented chop suey and why Jews love Chinese food, or as she puts it: Why is chow mein the chosen food of the chosen people?

The book is a tribute to immigrants and to America. If our benchmark for Americanness is apple pie, ask yourself, how often do you eat apple pie? Now how often do you eat Chinese food?"

Don't you want to read this?




I didn't even want to read the last one, so this Palahniuk book is a surprising buy for me, but it got some "best novel since Fight Club" type reviews, so I thought I'd give it a shot.


Now this was one I had to have as soon as I saw it. I love Carrie Fisher. Did you see her on 30 Rock last year? She was hilarious! And that the cover shows Princess Leia with an empty martini glass and strewn about pills sold it. But it's the back cover that made it something I couldn't leave the store without.

Amongst strewn photos of Carrie as a child, a mom, Leia, are headlines like

"Underwear Discovered In Space: George Lucas says, 'I Told You So.'"

"Carrie Fisher Selected as Runner Up Bipolar Woman of the Year"

and the piece de resistance:

"Carrie Fisher is bovine and unappealing, having inherited the worst qualities of both her parents." - John Simon

Anyone who would put that on the back cover of their autobiography is someone I gotta know more about.

I'll fill you in on how they all turn out sometime in June, I imagine, when I will have a life again. For now, back to grading papers. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment