Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday Finds - Apples!

Yesterday's lunch plus hot tubbing with my friend Rachel was amazing, as expected. She just opened up her own tattoo shop Immaculate Conception Tattoo on Melrose, which you should frequent for all your tattoo needs because her work is clean and beautiful and she's hilarious. She lives in Little Tokyo in downtown LA and so of course I made her take me for sushi. Ebisu has what I will call a "boat" theme.


If you want, you can have your meal on a boat:


And your food also comes on a boat!
Rachel is all about sashimi, but I like cut rolls. My rolls were amazing, as were the little sides we ordered. The service was great (the waitress came back to make sure Rachel wanted the big boat, which she did, but it turned out later that she totally thought it was smaller!), and they are open until 1am. So if you have a late night craving for sushi in downtown LA, Ebisu is the place.

After that tasty lunch, we hung out and then made our way down to the pool. I had warned her ahead of time that as a lady of a certain age/body type, I have reached a milestone: the tankini. Yes, the time for bikini's has passed me. Maybe not forever, but definitely for right now. And thankfully I was not the only one because she had one too! With a little skirted bottom like mine and everything. It felt like I was wearing a dress or some kind of vintage bathing suit from the turn of the century. But I walked around without a muumuu cover-up, which was rad.

FYI: Hot tubs = heaven. My new goal is to one day afford a jacuzzi.

Moving on.



Yes folks, the finds are back. Today's theme? Apples. Cause I love 'em.

By Plasticland:

Fruits of Your Labor Paring Knife $10

Sweet Apple Pendant Necklace $12



Bamboo Apple Bird Feeder from Uncommon Goods $25


I think this is super cute, but you can probably make something that would allow birdies to eat your apples.

Le Creuset has just made a casserole dish shaped like an apple! Petit casserole $29

You know I'm gonna bring you my Etsy finds, right?

Crocheted coasters by Monika Designs, Set of 4 for $12.

Crocheted apple cozy's might seem like a ridiculous invention, but they are so damn cute. And you don't want bruised apples do you?

Unravel Me's cozy is only $8.50


A Fabric Outlet
on Etsy has cuties like this if you like to make your own stuff:


Does anyone know where the "apple for the teacher" tradition comes from? Online speculation I've found so far:

1) Comes from the tradition of teachers being very poor, and so they would be paid by a community in food, like apples.

2) Teachers often decorate their rooms with the alphabet, A being the first letter, apple being the most popular image associated with the letter.

3) The good health associated with apples made the gift a small but meaningful one for a child's teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment