Friday, August 28, 2009

Martha Stewart Halloween!

It's getting started people, and I couldn't be happier. I don't even have an "inner Halloween freak." My freakery is totally on the outside year-round. So, of course, Martha Stewart's Halloween magazine is one of my favorite things. It heralds the coming season. I dutifully wait until October 1st to crack open my Halloween decorations bin and set our apartment ablaze (out of respect for my husband's sanity), but until then, I look at all the new stuff. I'm gonna loose my shit at Target when their Halloween goodies come out, I just know it. Anyway...

Martha loves Halloween as much as I do. She dresses up on her show, for her magazine, and to go to Halloween parties, like this picture from Bette Midler's party a few years ago:

A more recent costume is her Medusa costume, which I LOVE.

One year her covers were Bad & Good:
Her Halloween magazines have been really good the past couple of years. She still has a lot of kid-friendly decorations, but it's the adult, creepy and classy stuff that I like best. Here are a few from years past that I was into:


She sells these pompoms ready-made, but they are super easy to make yourself with tissue paper and scissors. Visit her site to learn how to make them yourself: DIY Pom Poms

These lab specimen party invitations sold out super early last year. I was going to buy some just to have in case I ever have an apartment big enough to have a decent party, but they were already gone.

These severed finger invitations are also totally amazing:


For any kind of decent party, liquor bottles are everywhere. In true Martha fashion, these labels make everything part of the theme:


A lot of this stuff was available on her online craft store, but there's not really much there. Her website has templates and instructions for some of her projects.

This year's magazine has some good stuff too!



Pumpkin punch bowl with little mini-pumpkin cups.

Plenty of black cats and spiders, but also owls. Here's a baby owl costume that's too cute. Love the mask.
And a way to make mishappen pumpkins owly.
Buying cheap plastic skulls and bones and covering them in green glitter does class up the joint.
I'm actually into the idea of these chocolate caramel apples with stick handles. I may make them. She provides the recipe in the latest issue.

So, like, obviously, this isn't the last Halloween post. But you knew that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment