Tuesday, August 11, 2009

WW!

Soooo....for my birthday I decided I wanted to do some more work on the eventual sleeve on my right arm. Maybe you've heard me talk about it. It's called "Hey Ladies," because I've already got three there that are connected to three important women in my life. My grandmother's memorial tattoo is on the inside of the arm (a swallow framed with flowers draped with a banner that says her name, Maria). My mom tattoo I've already blogged about here is on my forearm (an anchor with yes, another banner, this one says "Mom"). And I have a tiny star on my wrist that I got in solidarity with my mother-in-law when she got her first tattoo. Now that I've got my personal ladies covered, I am moving on to symbolic ladies, or in this case, a pop culture symbol. Big surprise, no?

I had originally planned a beautiful showgirl for this space, but I felt that showgirls, though very symbolic of Las Vegas, which I love, and femininity, weren't as cool of a symbol of female power. Wonder Woman is, and besides the feminist icon status, she's pretty damn cool. If you read her Wiki entry, you might come away with the idea that she's even stronger than Superman. Seriously. Whoever wrote the article keeps mentioning weapons and powers she has that can cripple or disable Superman. Anyway.....

My amazing friend Rachel did this for me (the design as well). If you live in or around LA, she owns Immaculate Conception Tattoo on Melrose & Spaulding. She does amazing work and she's fun as hell to talk to. It's obviously not a finished piece. She did most of the outline and shading today. She still needs to add some flying birds (hence the empty spots) and of course the color. That isn't probably going to happen for a while, but I got it started, which was my goal.

So, of course if I'm on Melrose, I had to go to Canter's right? I met Rachel for lunch before the tattoo and I picked up some cookies on the way out. So glad I did!



Did you hear there is a big meteor shower happening between midnight and 4am? I am probably going down to the beach to see if I can get a glimpse. I can celebrate the first few hours of being 32 with a moonlight serenade. How often does SPACE drop by to wish you a happy birthday? Not often.

No comments:

Post a Comment