Friday, April 30, 2010

God Helmet


I was watching a program on demonic possession on the Smithsonian Channel (or was it the History Channel?) because, well, why wouldn't you watch a program discussing the nuances of demonic possession, right? These are the things that fascinate me. Anyway, this program took it to a whole different level, analyzing not just the experience of possession and retelling stories of possession, but thinking about it scientifically. Now, it still did the re-enactments (to M's chagrin) and it interviewed people like William Peter Blatty who wrote The Exorcist. Blatty's argument that demonic possession is real is based on the following: "It has to be real, or else, everything Jesus said was a lie." So he's really no help. If he was a student of mine we'd have to have a little talk about argument structure and logic.


I've been fascinated by this subject for a while. I read The Exorcist when I was 13, during the period when I was living in what I thought (and still think) was a haunted house. I've been scared about it and laughed about it. I was raised Catholic, but not really. I mean, we got baptized and my mom talked about the saints and stuff, but we never went to church and I wasn't brought up with Catechism or any of that stuff. I would lose the Catholic contest every time. I don't even know what to really do with a rosary. Since I'm into all things weird, mystical, and magical, the idea of possession, and the corresponding magic of exorcism, is something I find extremely interesting. I don't really know what to think about it, truly. I mean, do I think there are demons?  Like three-toed guys with horns and junk? No. Don't get me wrong, I was scared during Paranormal Activity, and that fear jumped up a thousand fold when I saw those demon-y footprints in the talcum powder in the nighttime bedroom scene. I played it off like, "I won't be scared tonight because ghosts are really scary, but demons? They aren't real." And then proceeded to stare at my ceiling until about 4am. Scared. But I can't really believe in demons. Not when I'm thinking clearly. So then what is demonic possession?


I used to think it was maybe particularly bad ghosts. A kind of spiritual possession. Like the ghosts of people who were insane murderers or schizophrenics who believed they were demons. That would just be the worst thing to happen to a Catholic, right? Getting haunted by one of those ghosts? But, typical Sweet Lady rationalization-station, I figured it wouldn't be that strange because neighborhoods have religious enclaves that go back many generations. You could be haunted by someone a lot like you if your neighborhood has a specific racial/ethnic/religious makeup. So yeah, crazy ghosts. Ghosts that can make you crazy. That's what possession is. Well, when I say it out loud, or worse, write it, it sounds like a pretty lame theory. I guess I've always been pretty skeptical about possession because it only happens to people who believe in it. I mean, atheists  don't get possessed by demons.

Wikipedia claims that demonic possession is "often the term used to describe the control over a human form by a demon. Descriptions of demonic possessions often include: erased memories or personalities, convulsions, “fits” and fainting as if one were dying. Unlike in channeling or other forms of possession, the subject has no control over the possessing entity and so it will persist until forced to leave the victim, usually through a form of exorcism. Other descriptions include access to hidden knowledge and foreign languages, drastic changes in vocal intonation and facial structure, sudden appearance of injury (scratches, bite marks) or lesions, and superhuman strength."

It's what is called a "culture bound syndrome," or a malady that is only considered real and recognizable within a specific culture.  So other cultures might not see it as a problem or one that is labeled in the same way/attributed to the same factors. Like I said, atheists don't seem to get possessed by demons. I had always assumed that it was related to a mental disorder, and that certain cultural groups saw it as something else because it fit in with their belief system.  Either that or it's totally magic

These are the things I think about (and look up on my laptop) while the Smithsonian program tells the most popular possession stories. The ones I know about already. But then they hit me with something new: The GOD Helmet.



You see, there is a field called neurotheology. Yes. Neurological Theologists. Theological Neurologists. Dr. Michael Persinger is one of these mystical creatures. Neurotheologists believe that many spiritual and religious experiences are explainable biologically.


My ears totally perked up.


And then Persinger shows us the God Helmet.





The God Helmet,  discussed all over the place, even in Wired Magazine, is an experimental thingamajig that Persinger created to artificially induce the spiritual experiences many attribute to feeling the touch of god, being possessed, or witnessing a miracle. There's this area of the brain, the temporal lobe according to him, where the process/emotions surrounding spiritual experiences are housed, and this thing shocks it awake on demand. He argues that temporal lobe epilepsy is how we can explain the seemingly real experiences of communicating with the divine.


Whoa, right? According to his explanation in the show I watched, people have different experiences. Some feel like they've encountered God, some feel like they have encountered a negative entity, but all of them feel that they have encountered something outside of themselves.


So this is a total update of my understanding of demonic possession, and a new obsession: getting a hold of one of these helmets. I want to feel special, y'all! I want to feel the transcendent experience of divine connection. And I don't want to have to hang out with hippies. Or take drugs that cost lots of money. The God Helmet is a one-time fee for a lifetime of feeling awesome. And I can take a break from analyzing everything to death. Have I mentioned I hate my dissertation? No? Well if I had a God Helment, I could totally ask St. Whatever to sanctify my dissertation and I'd go into that defense with like a halo of super-confidence light surrounding me.


So what do you think about demonic possession? Take my poll and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment