Friday, April 30, 2010

Street Freaks

Two posts in one day? I'm making up for lost time, but also just happened to have a discussion with M. about our future in Philly. We are actively looking at apartments now, and not in the "let's see what the neighborhoods have to offer" kind of way, but more of a "this apartment could be where we live" way, which is a thousand times more fun. Now, a cocktail and a half in, I decided a good question would be: would you live on a street that had an embarrassing name? M. claimed that streets aren't really named that way anymore and we won't have to worry about it in Philadelphia. Maybe not, but I looked it up (like I always do) and found the following:



-- Apes Hold Road, Crisfield, Maryland, USA
-- Bucket of Blood Street, Holbrook, Arizona
-- Convict Hill Road, Austin, Texas, USA
-- Corpse Way, Wakefield, England
-- Cut Throat Lane, Swanmore, England
-- Devil's Backbone Road, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
-- Dead Man's Walk, Thornhill, England
-- Drunk Horse Lane, Westcliff, Colorado, USA
-- Falling Health Place, Mikwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
-- Grave's End Neck Road, Brooklyn, New York, USA
-- Malfunction Junction, Garden Valley, Idaho, USA
-- Pig's Ear Road, Grantsville, Maryland, USA
-- Long Tongue Warning Lane, Flockton, England
-- Roast Meat Hill Road, Killingworth, Connecticut, USA
-- Shades of Death Road, Warren County, New Jersey, USA
-- Shooting Butts Road, North Island, New Zealand
-- Skunk's Misery Road, Lattington, New York, USA
-- Squeeze Guts Alley, Truro, England
-- Tripe Slitters Lane, Skipton, England


-- Boner Street, in Willacoochee (Georgia)
-- Clit Court, in Albany (New York)
-- Climax Street, Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania)
-- Cock of the Walk Lane, in Maumelle, (Arkansas)
-- Hooker Street & Pleasure Road, Madison (Wisconsin)
-- Pettibone Place, Milwaukee, (Wisconsin)
-- Pinch'em Slyly Place, in Charlottesville, (Virginia)
-- Slim Bottoms Road, in Mount Vernon (New York)
-- Tickled Pink Drive, in Gualala, (California)

I'm thinking England is a strange place, but other than that, what I was most excited about was Bucket of Blood Road, in Arizona, about a half-mile away from the very highway we will be traveling on our trip across the country! We're still debating whether or not it's worth a stop. Well, by "we" I mean I'm still trying to convince M it's going to be an amazing photograph. 

I don't think I could really live on Clit Court in Albany. I would never have parties and certainly couldn't apply to a job using that address. I can't believe I even care, but it turns out I do. Or what if there's a street like "Enil" that sounds like "anal" when you say it. Can you take a cab ever? Or do you get dropped off a block away? These are the things I think about. I'm a total lost cause.

Have you encountered any of these streets in real life? Or any other odd/weird/crazy named streets? I want to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment